Thursday, 29 December 2011

The Prince Who Turned into a Frog

I’ve been reflecting a lot about marriage these days. I must say, it has been very interesting taking a look at where my marriage began. So much has happened since then, I cannot even recognise the woman I was back then. When I got married at 20 years, I was immature, to say the least, and so as expected, I made many mistakes.

See, I grew up reading romance novels. From the time I was eleven years old, I would grab my mother’s romance novels and would lose myself in their pages. From one hero to another, I learned one thing – somewhere out there, there was a man who would do everything I wanted him to do, say everything I wanted him to say, in the way I wanted him to, he would give me everything I wanted to receive, be everything I wanted him to be. And, in that rare moment that he did anything contrary to my will, he would quickly come running to apologize. Oh, how I couldn’t wait to meet this Prince Charming!

You can imagine how excited I was to get married. I was finally going to live my fairytale. I was ready to be swept off my feet and be charmed by my prince. But, the prince I married turned out to be a frog! (So it seemed to the girl who believed in fairytales).  He never did anything I expected him to, always said the wrong thing, didn’t explain his point of view as patiently and gently as those Mills & Boons heroes did, he never allowed me to have the last word, never talked for hours on end, like a best friend. It’s funny now, but back then, it was painful to realize that the perfect man I’d hoped for didn’t exist. What now?

It was time to wake up! And maybe, it’s time for you to wake up too. True love isn’t a mere feeling. It isn’t selfish expectations. It isn’t those butterflies you feel in your stomach. No! True love is far better, far stronger, far superior than the idea of love painted by Hollywood and romance novels. True love is sacrifice, action, it is a decision – the sooner you learn how to separate love from your feelings, the sooner you can experience true love. Discover how to find true love in the next blogs!

9 comments:

*Drew* said...

This message was a REAL eye opener! Thanks Moti...x

Sibon said...

As I was reading this i was imagining how disapointed you must have felt and that is the danger of emotions. If we don't learn to rule over them we will bring harm to ourselves. I definintley will be following this series.

Aneeka K said...

Same Sibon, and how easy is it to think like this?
This was definitely an eye opener, thanks for sharing Mrs Moti, look forward to reading the others! x

Elise Souza said...

Olá dna,encontrei esse blog por meio da dna Nanda e ameei!! É muito bom ver o que a sra escreve,pois Deus tem falado comigo a cada post que eu leio aqui.Que Deus a abençoe cada vez mais.

Damilola said...

Yay , finally I love your blog post. It really opened my eyes, obviously Im not dating, but with my friends it can be so useful, because its so easy to expect so much. bring on the series of these posts :)

Tamika said...

Mrs. Moti,

Wow, I really did appreciate your blog post, I will be following your other blog`s also, with out a doubt,

Tamika, xxxx

Thuthuka said...

Somehow I feel vindicated by this article...... or not...

Rosette said...

LOL I started reading those romance novels in a very early age too, I believe around 12. I used to daydream a lot and I suffered a great deal in my love life because of these high expectations of mine. To top it off, I dind't have God back then.
Thank you for the heads up when marriage is in the corner. I'm actually reading Mrs Nanda's book. To tell you the truth, it was really hard to stick to one secret per day but it's my january project and I'm staying faithful to it so can't wait for secret # 11.
Very helpful! God bless you...

Anonymous said...

I have always believed in fairytales but now I HAVE learned that I have to put my heart in Gods hands and he he will put it in the hands of the man who deserves it. I also learned that a woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man needs to seek him 1st before he can find it.