Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Battle of the Bulge: Do Diets Work?



There are so many diets nowadays, all promising good results. But the question is, do they work? What do you think?

In my opinion, if diets worked, obesity wouldn’t exist. People would have found and stuck to that diet that is the answer to their sorrows. Just like there is no magic pill, there is no magic diet. There is a simple reason why diets don’t work. They are designed to cut the amount of calories you eat, and certainly, the number of on the scale drops, because of the calorie cut. But a diet doesn’t deal with the root of your weight gain and therefore offers only a temporary solution. The tendency is to gain the weight back after the diet, because diets treat the ‘symptom’ and not the ‘disease’. If you are going to lose weight and maintain that weight loss, you need to change your lifestyle, not your diet. There are two things you need to look at when changing your dietary lifestyle.

First of all, you need to discover the root of your overeating. What is causing you to overeat? What makes you eat more than what your body can handle? You need to realize that there are specific things that trigger overeating. For me, it is the need for comfort – the need to feel good. When I am stressed or upset about something, I tend to grab the bag of chips or tub of ice cream. That always makes me feel good. Now, to change my lifestyle, I needed to replace the overeating with other healthy options. Instead of eating to remove stress, I choose to remove stress with listening to music and dancing. Running and walking are also a great stress reliever. This way you can let go of stress and burn calories at the same time. What could be better than that? What is your reason for eating excessively? Discover it and find better ways of dealing with it.

Secondly, you need to reeducate yourself about eating and to establish good eating habits. You need to start monitoring your food portions and balancing your diet. It’s never good to cut out certain food groups from your diet, as many diets advise. Develop eating habits that you will maintain for a lifetime, instead of establishing habits that can only last for a while. Next week we'll look at correct food portions and how to have a balanced diet.

The task this week: Discover what makes you over-eat and substitute that with a healthier option. Share your experience with us by leaving your comments.

1 comment:

♡ ♥ ♡ ♥ ♡ said...

When finding a good healthy balance then it should be fine. I do not agree with these fad diets that celebrities go crazy for though.

When it is close to that 'time' if you know what I mean - lol, I tend to eat for England, I honesty do not know how I coud substitute that. I love fruit and other healthy options, but it would frustrate me at that 'time', I tend to want sweet things and large portions too. Is that normal or what?