Oh my, I can’t tell you how often I’ve wished I could just stumble upon that miraculous pill, that would sort out my weight issues and put me out of my misery. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my friend, magic weight loss pills do not exist! I don’t care how convincing the argument on the box is, there is no quick solution to weight loss! It is quite frustrating when the image you have of yourself in your head, does not match what you see in the mirror. But, unfortunately there is no quick solution to weight loss.
When you think about it, you’ll notice that you didn’t gain the weight in a week, so you definitely won’t lose it in a week. It takes time for your body to put on weight. Similarly, it takes time for your body to lose weight. There is only one way of losing weight, and that’s causing a deficit in your calorie intake. That sounds very complicated, but all it means is, in order for your body to lose fat, not muscle mass or water, you need to spend more energy than you consume. How do you do that?
Firstly, you need to consume fewer calories than usual, so, you need to choose lighter options of the food you eat and eat less portions of it. That way, the energy you put into your body is reduced. Secondly, you need increase the amount of energy your body spends, by increasing your physical activities. Exercise, exercise, exercise!!! That is the only way of losing weight. Now you understand what it takes to lose weight, you surely can see that no pill is going to do this for you. What you need is discipline! No, let me rephrase that, what we need is discipline! Here are a few tips that can help…
Tips for reducing your calorie intake:
- Start with keeping a food journal. When you note down everything you eat, you tend to eat less and choose healthier options.
- Double your portions of vegetables and eat a quarter of the starch you normally eat, that is rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc.
- Drink more water and hot tea in between meals, you’ll be inclined to eat less meal times. Remember to use sweetener instead of sugar in your tea!
Tips for increasing your physical activity:
- Don’t sit down in the bus or tube. Stand for the duration of your journey.
- Go take your bus two stops away (a station away, if you use the tube). Do the same when you get off. If you drive, don’t park too close to your destination.
- Do more housework. Yes girls, spring-cleaning is a form of exercise. Woohooo!!!