Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Battle of the Bulge: The Scale…



One of the most common mistakes people make on their weight-loss journey is to be obsessed with the scale. I’m not in favour of weighing myself everyday. Logic tells me that there’s going to be a very small difference between what I weighed yesterday and what I weigh today, even if the difference is to show that I’ve lost weight. That may lead to anxiety – feeling like I’m not doing enough. So, I spare myself. I get more pleasure from knowing I’ve lost 3kg in a month, than 400g in a week. So, be careful girls, numbers can be discouraging.

Besides, there are other factors to consider. Your weight-loss will not always be reflected by the number on the scale. When you begin exercising, you will definitely begin to gain muscle mass, which is a very good thing, because muscle burns fat even when you are sedentary. But, muscle also weighs, so when you gain muscle mass, the number on the scale will go high, even though you are burning more fat.

So, in order to know whether or not you are heading in the right direction, also keep track of your body measurements. Measure the circumference of your arms, thighs, hips, chest and waist. Keep a log of these measurements as well. When you lose fat, your measurements will go down. It’s important to remember, girls, that this is a marathon and not a sprint! Don’t allow outside pressures to make you desperate. Keep fighting the good fight, eventually it will pay off.




I will see you at the finishing line!!!

5 comments:

Tamara Awarieta said...

I can relate to this message, as I was so obsessed with weighing myself daily instead of weighing myself monthly. I had to ban myself from weighing myself everyday and decided to keep a food and exercise diary instead.That way I was in control of being healthy and ensuring that my calorie intake did not exceed the daily requirement. Before I realised the weight started to fall off and I could see the difference.

I am still on my journey and hope to reach my goal soon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mrs Moti really loosing weight is one of the challenging things in life however we have to lead a healthy lifestyle and take care of the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Louisa Diale
Pretoria (RSA)

Rosa said...

Hi Mrs.Moti:
It happens 1 year and a couple of months ago when I started to see myself fat that I got to the point of eating once a day. I used to weight myself everyday everyday everyday. I lost so much weight that people started to asked me if I was anorexic. The point was that I wanted to loose weight, but I was doing it the wrong way.
Kisses
Rosa

Anonymous said...

Thank YOU so much. I have started a a diet and have been always on th scales checking checking gets a bit denting when you check and see no change. But it's about the long run. Right and that's what's I'm working for.

See you in the end. :).

Catherine Nancy

Tara J. said...

Hello Mrs. Moti. As someone else said I can also relate to this post. The battle of the bulge has been a constant one for my adult life. My highest weight was 176lbs. & I am only 5' 1". This is my fourth time in Weight Watchers but the first time I'm doing it with God in my life. It makes such a difference. Anyway these are some of the things I learn in meetings so I know the importance of it. Thanks for sharing & God bless.